Our efforts have generally focused on three objectives:
- Educating state and federal officials about the challenges many of Michigan’s low-income residents face
- Working with state officials to improve how energy assistance is delivered
- Helping low-income individuals understand and utilize available assistance options
- Working with non-profit and other partners across the state to develop best practices
- Increasing public awareness about the need for energy assistance and ways to help
The Coalition recent activity includes the following:
- Submitting comments at the Michigan Public Service Commission in case U-18120 affecting the recent proposed modifications to customer billing rules. The Coalition made comments in regard to ensuring additional protections for those needing medical assistance shut-off protection.
- Helping our partners across the county get the word out on the continued need for LIHEAP appropriations. To help in this effort, go here.
- Providing education and information to our members of Congress at their district offices so that they have valuable information to help Michiganders at their fingertips.
- Participating in the National Neuac LIIHEAP action day in Washington, DC on February 15. Thirteen members did the "fly-in" and were well received by our congressional delegation!!